Thursday, January 7, 2010

New Mail Art

The mail art I sent out reached it's destination so I can show it now. The special birthday fairy hasn't even opened it yet to look at the card. I did send her a email just now telling her how to open the envelope without damaging the art. I just always think who ever gets the mail art will figure out how to open it. She was thrilled and I was thrilled to hear that! As usual as soon as I set it in the mail I began to fret that she wouldn't like it. I did scan a picture of the front and back before I put on the address and postage this time.

This is the front minus the address. The background started with blends of Twinkling H2O's, then a piece of wall paper border. The gal is painted over a magazine advertising I liked. I just printed it in b&w, glued it in place, covered it in gesso and then painted, using acrylic paints, more H2O's, white gel pen, and some metallic acrylics & glitter glaze. The bird was just a image I've used a lot because I like it! After adding the address & postage I added some flourishes. (which didn't look right and should've been added  a couple steps before that).


This is the back of the envelope. It also started with Twinkling H2O's for the background border and then a piece of background print from Altered Bits http://alteredbits.com/free_art.php  that I just adore!! The flower is cut and rearranged from another piece of wall paper border, another bird image and the Fairies are from yet another piece of border. Crowns were from Lisa's Altered Art. It all has a touch of glitter for sparkle, of course, and shading. Both sides are glued and protected with Mod Podge, some glue and a final spray of glossy protective finish.
Click on the pictures for a larger size to see it better. The scans never show the pretty sparkle or shimmer.

3 comments:

Emelie said...

That evenlope is certainly beautiful, when I look at art work like that I always think, I wish I thought like that.

I forgot to mention that I know how irritatiing that spiral is when doing a journal, I keep wiping it off, one I am working on does not hinder, but one does. Maybe if I put some masking tape on it that would help, that removes easily.

Working on my hands journal and I did a thing I didn't want to but I did it anyway. I keep promises well, but not to myself,

BTW I am not even familiar with some of the products you use in your artwork. You achieve lovely.

Emelie

Anonymous said...

Beautiful work, as always! I really like the backside with the little dancing fairies. :)

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous paintings!!!

Post a Comment